Proud to say we are not owned by Rupert Murdoch

ALICE'S BUCKET LIST
My Photo
Alice x
Hi, I'm 16 years old and live with my parents and sister in Ulverston (England).
I've been fighting cancer for over 4 years and now I know that the cancer is gaining on me and it doesn't look like I'm going to win this one :( I'm hoping to write in here as much as I can and I'm also going to show my bucket list which I'm trying to get done before I have to go. Hopefully, I'll update as I tick each one off the list :)
View my complete profile

Thursday, July 14, 2011

More bullying and more reason to ask your school what is it's policy toward bullying and the New California law AB746

A Burn Book like the one featured in the movie "Mean Girls" that singles out students and calls them names has led school officials in Texas to launch a district-wide investigation.


The "Spring Woods Book" was removed from Facebook Tuesday after the Spring Branch Independent School District in Texas launched an investigation into the page, KHOU Television reports. The Facebook site featured insensitive comments and pictures of students. The page's creator is still unidentified.


Miracle Camero, 17, was listed under the "SLUTS" section of the page.
"They put me under slut and they called me the B word and said that I was stuck up and that I'm all over guys that give me a second look," Camero told KHOU.
Cyberbullying has been a hot issue lately, and Camero isn't the only one who's been victim to relentless online taunting.


Last January, 15-year-old Phoebe Prince Hanged herself after being bullied at school and through Facebook. One of her bullies, Sharon Chanon Velazquez, was recently released from Juvenile Court and spoke out on the Today Show last week.


Facebook and Time Warner announced yesterday that they will partner to fight cyberbullying, and Gov. Jerry Brown (D-Calif.) signed into law last week a bill that allows schools to suspend students for bullying their peers on social networking sites like Facebook.


Schools will now be allowed to suspend students for bullying classmates on social networking sites, including Facebook. Assemblywoman Nora Campos (D-San Jose) introduced the legislation to update California's anti-bullying laws.


"The increase in popularity of social networks has also brought an increase in abuse, and in some instances depression and suicide," she said in a statement.


There was no organized opposition to her bill, AB 746, which was backed by the California State PTA and the California Teachers Assn. The Issue is supposedly addressed in California State Ed. Code

No comments:

Post a Comment